Saturday, December 26, 2015

Breathe, step forward, repeat

The seasons changed from Summer to fall.
The fall changed to winter even though the temperatures haven't realized the time of year it is.
The time changed, the weather changed, the leaves changed and fell.

The holidays are in full swing and almost over with now. This year I decided I needed to do something, anything more than I have been in the past few years, especially last year. Last year was the first without my husband. Had it not been for writing it down I probably couldn't tell you what I did last year.
The year came and went at break neck speed for the longest time.
I read something that was the greatest description. Sleepwalking. The first year I was sleepwalking but functioning. The second year I'm still sleepwalking but waking periodically

When that happens I stop and think to myself, Is this really my life?
The answer is always, yes.

So as the changes still come, I am learning a new normal. Something I had to learn to do as a caregiver, a new normal, often.
I am embracing the moments I can spend with my family. I am letting go of self doubt and I'm embracing the job I love and the new friends and co workers my heart has made.

I prayerfully prepared for the worst of emotions as the big things happened, Thanksgiving, Anniversary, Christmas. The emotional worst didn't happen but the emotional minors did. I still get caught off guard by the little things sometimes. A friend warning me about social media "widow trolls" asked me if I had changed my relationship status from married to widow yet. No, I can't bring myself to do it. A little word but it has a huge impact on my emotional well being. My heart is still married. I miss my husband, maybe I always will. Still taking one day at a time some days.

2 comments:

  1. I have been reading your older blog, http://www.thieflewybodydementia.com. I want to thank you for writing it and keeping it online.

    I would like to ask you to consider saving it chronologically in a PDF file or other ebook format... Or even write a book. I know the time in your life must be difficult to relive, but my journey with Lewy Body is just beginning with my dad. I have found great peace and comfort reading your blog as I realize you have already experienced many of the things I am going through now. LD is so different from ALZ (from my perspective). Thank you again for sharing your life with the public.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much for your comment.
      My entire reason for doing that was to help. I am glad you are able to find some education and peace from it. I still stay involved in caregiver support and Lewy education at every opportunity.
      You are very correct, lewy is VERY different than Alz. I'm sad to know you and your father must endure this journey.
      I also appreciate your suggestion for a chronological record. I'll figure out how to do that :D
      Please keep in touch.
      Kathy

      Delete