Saturday, April 19, 2014

Do I have a purpose anymore?

This last week I've had more emotional days than I would have liked.
The numb is almost gone.
The slow motion is better, I still need to get motion and sound to sync up.
It's all coming together. I hope.

NOBODY over analyze the following

I now feel as though I have a better understanding as why when one spouse dies, the other does shortly thereafter.
For almost my entire married life I was blessed to be a stay at home wife and mother.
I worked when the going got tough and the tough had to get going and stopped when my husband had things financially stable for us, and at his insisted request.
He always liked the fact I was home.
Most of the time I liked it too as it left me available for our children and my husband.
Almost all of my activities were those my children or husband were involved in.
Other than the Ladies Church class there were few things I did separate from my family.

Now my children are grown, married with their own lives. My purpose was fulfilled in their care, guidance and social development.
Now that my husband is gone, my purpose as his wife has been fulfilled as his lover, helpmate, sparring partner and more recently caregiver. 

So now what?
I've not been driven by anything towards anything.
I'm feeling empty and adrift.
My days are occupied and I appreciate that.
Yet I've pondered what the next steps are.
I've prayed for guidance and direction.
I don't want to live the rest of my life just going through the motions.
I'm tired and I'll be glad when my time here on this earth is over so I can just go "home".
I'm not looking to make that happen any sooner than it is supposed to so take a breath.

I hear and read, "Take care of yourself. It's time for you". Heck, I've even said it to others and to myself.
"Find something you enjoy" I just don't know what that is yet.
"Don't make any big decisions for at least a year." Good advise, now if I could just feel confident to make a few small ones.
"Don't forget to eat" I WISH that was a problem :/
I realize this is the process but my oh my how much effort it takes to even breathe some days.
So I need to find a way to wiggle out from under the weight of this grief, even a little.

And, I may have found my wiggle room.
I don't want to stay home taking care of the yard and the house all the time.
I want to be able to do something for someone else.
So I think I'm going to check into volunteering for Habitat for Humanity.
I enjoy working with tools and being able to bang on things in a productive manner seems like a good thing.
Maybe I can hammer out some purpose.



No comments:

Post a Comment