Sunday, February 23, 2014

Sensory Overload

Feeling a little better I accepted an invitation to do a little errand running with my daughter and her husband. I haven't been out of the house for very much. The weather is changing for the better and a light sweater was comfortable enough.
It still feels odd to just walk out the door without making sure things and people are in place. The ride was another emotion. When I drive I have to concentrate on my surroundings and stay alert for safety, when another drives I can just look out at the scenery. A melancholy ride even though I participated in chit chat and light and fun conversation.
We weren't gone long to mix among the masses when I began to feel very, very tired. I had to concentrate so hard on what I was doing and saying. I think I may have gone into sensory overload and I was even having a difficult time talking in sentences that made sense. It was enough to frustrate me at one time. Of course my daughter and I joked that maybe I was having a stroke but I ran through what I remembered about the FAST check for a stroke

F ace - My face wasn't drooped and my smile raised equally on both sides and I was able to stick out my tongue at her.
A rms - I was able to raise both arms above my head without weakness or numbness but I did hit the headliner in the car
S peech - I was able to communicate all my words clearly
T ime - had I had any of the above issues it would have been time to call for help

No, I'm pretty confident that my crazy word finding and slow reactions and extreme exhaustion were all part of my sensory overload and with time it will go away.



1 comment:

  1. Kathy, I think of you every day. I am happy to see that you are still writing as you write from your heart and that will help you get through this horrible ordeal. Love you, Your Sister in Spirit <3

    ReplyDelete